Friday 29 January 2010

Raise high the roof beam



I was sad to hear that J. D. Salinger died the other day aged 91. You should make it your mission to read his books if you haven't. They spoke to me in a way that others hadn't when I was first turned on to them. I wanted to leave you with a quote, a good one, one from Catcher in the Rye. Deliberation about the next quote being tasteful or not took place. I decided the words are timeless, apt and a great example of his mind at work as spoken by his most famous protagonist...

"Boy, when you're dead, they really fix you up. I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody"- Holden Caulfield

No comments: